Accounting Assistant job at Harvard University in Boston, MA
Accounting Duties & Responsibilities
Performs many diverse and complex accounting and financial management functions for the Harvard Dental Center. The ability to work with multiple sources of funding, vendors and the Office of Administration and Finance. Serves as a principle source of information on established financial policies and procedures and advises faculty, students, or staff on existing options or alternatives. Updates supervisor on status of projects as required. Provides supplemental support to additional areas within the Dental Center with fiscal responsibility.
Accounting Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Assists in the annual preparation of multiple departmental budgets, expertise to independently develop and oversee accounts, monitor balances and reconcile accounts; interpret and administer appropriate University and sponsored research fiscal policies
- Produces financial data/reports providing investigation and data analysis for presenting for use in planning and decision making
- Oversight, review and record keeping of weekly procurement card purchases for multiple individuals within the department
- Guides customers on appropriate financial processes and assist in problem resolution
- Establishes and manages accounting record keeping systems, and procedures for tracking and reporting, including recommending remedial measures
- Will help with processing all electronic procurement activities including payments, vendors invoices, individual reimbursements, and other accounts payable and receivables, and researches discrepancies as required and participates in system upgrades and implementation projects
- Contributes to other unit goals as needed.
- Associates degree in accounting/finance or equivalent experience required; minimum of three years of related experience.
Strong written and oral communication skills are essential to this position. Ability to work independently with minimal supervision. Ability to handle complex and confidential information with discretion. Computer competency requiring a spreadsheet, and database software required. Desire and aptitude to be tested on appropriate computer skills. Knowledge Harvard University Financial Systems including HCOM is a plus.