Etsy: Staff Accountant-Revenue and Stock Compensation – Brooklyn, NY
- Etsy is creating the world’s most vibrant handmade marketplace, and we’re looking for a Staff
- The accountant specializing in Revenue & Stock Compensation to join the Accounting team in Brooklyn New York.
We expect the Staff Accountant to:
- Be a natural problem-solver. You identify challenges, analyze the root causes, seek to understand the rationale behind current processes and only then propose solutions and tools to help staff.
- Be thorough and accurate. You will be a task of ensuring data integrity, identifying and addressing inconsistencies in our financial operations, and developing solutions. You will have strong organizational skills allowing you to manage multiple priorities while maintaining exceptional attention to detail.
- Be proactive. You’re eager to contribute and learn, ask lots of questions, and provide solutions before we even know there are issues. You are excited about making ongoing process improvements.
- Have a positive attitude and the desire to provide impeccable support to Etsy team members. You’ll regularly interact with team members within and outside the accounting team, offering high levels of customer service and motivating them to make changes. You have an ability to communicate directly, concisely and with a balanced tone, on paper and verbally, formally and informally.
About the Staff Accountant Job
You will support the Accounting Manager and Senior Accountant specializing in global revenue recognition and stock compensation to serve as the primary person to coordinate and organize source data reports, third party reporting, and cash transactions impacting these key financial areas, ultimately preparing monthly journal entries and reconciliations as part of the close process. This role will also support the month-end close and financial reporting procedures.
About the Team
The Accounting team seeks to promote Etsy’s growth by ensuring timely and accurate financial reporting and a strong and sustainable internal control environment. Our goal is to contribute to Etsy at multiple levels by combining strong accounting and business senses while subscribing to Etsy’s mission and values.
CAPITALIZED WEB DEVELOPMENT:
- Create analytics to track trends in web development costs and provide insight to accounting management team and others
- Coordinate with Product team managers to obtain capitalizable time spent on web development projects
- Review new and existing projects for scope and capitalizability
- Meet quarterly with accounting management team to review Etsy’s Product Roadmap and proposed capitalization for current projects, as well as assess any deprecated products
- Maintain capitalized web development workbook, including NBV for all cap web projects, and update Product team worksheets quarterly
- Work with Tax team and share asset/write-off information for quarterly/annual filings
REVENUE & COST OF REVENUE:
- Prepare and record journal entries for various revenue streams, comparing internal queries with external data to ensure completeness and accuracy
- Make monthly cash-to-revenue reconciliation for review, identifying and documenting any reconciling items on time
- Validate all costs related directly to revenue streams by examining supplier invoices and/or pulling external data. Maintain monthly trend analyses and communication with relevant parties to record appropriate accruals for cost of income, as necessary
- Utilize historical data to keep monthly reserve balances related to various refund and chargeback types
- Assist Accounting Manager and/or Senior Accountant on any project related to a new or updated revenue stream or process, as needed
CASH & RECEIVABLES:
- Research and resolve any new or unusual cash activity, reconcile to third party reports if available
- Record all revenue or cost of income-related cash receipts/disbursements and reconcile to bank statements on a weekly basis
- Prepare analysis over the allowance for doubtful accounts and prepare journal entries to record for bad debt write-offs
- Compile data and prepare journal entries for certain revenue-related sales taxes – involves coordination with tax team
- Assist with special projects as requested by US finance/accounting team or local offices
- Other ad hoc items, as necessary
- Successful candidates will have:
- Experience successfully managing multiple priorities
- BS Degree in Accounting, CPA certification is desired
- Minimum three years of experience in Accounting; ideally in a fast-growing mid-tier company
- Experience with revenue recognition and capitalized web development costs accounting guidance, including practical application, a plus
- Excellent computer skills, particularly in navigating detailed system-generated source reports, downloading and manipulating data, and Excel
- The ability to work independently and follow tasks through to completion and meet commitments, proactively seeking guidance as necessary
- Capacity to work in a team environment, with the ability to collaborate with geographically-dispersed individuals across a wide variety of operational, functional and technical disciplines
- Bonus points if you have:
- Experience with Workday or similar mid-tier ERP systems
- Multi-national experience and exposure to related VAT requirements
Job Title: Staff Accountant – Revenue and Stock Compensation
Location: Brooklyn, New York