A software engineer is a person who applies the principles to the design, development, maintenance, testing, and evaluation of computer software. The software engineer job description of a software engineer will usually feature three sections that break down the roles and day-to-day responsibilities of a software engineer.
Responsibilities for Software Engineer
- Analyze, design, and develop tests and test-automation suites.
- Design and develop a processing platform using various configuration management technologies.
- Test software development methodology in an agile environment.
- Provide ongoing maintenance, support, and enhancements in existing systems and platforms.
What can I do with a Master’s degree in software engineering?
With a master’s degree, software engineers may seek roles as computer and information research scientists, and a doctorate can qualify them to work as professors or lead engineers. Where Can I Work as a Software Engineer?
What is a Software Engineer? On the most basic level, software engineers write, debug, maintain, and test software that instructs a computer to accomplish certain tasks, such as saving information, performing calculations, etc. A software engineer will convert what needs to happen into one of many programming languages, the most common of which being Java, C++, and Python.
The job description of a software engineer will usually feature three sections that break down the roles and day-to-day responsibilities of a software engineer. Potential software engineering candidates will be expected to: Have the foundational knowledge and capability to use one or more programming languages.
Software Engineer Job Responsibilities: Develops information systems by designing, developing, and installing software solutions. Determines operational feasibility by evaluating analysis, problem definition, requirements, solution development, and proposed solutions.
Software Engineer – Vehicle Motion Embedded Controls – General Motors
Software Engineer Full Job Description
VMEC, Vehicle Motion Embedded Controls, is a production-level group that supports the definition, design, and development of continuously improving the software for control strategies, diagnostics, and controller communication. This means that you can potentially put a fingerprint on the vehicles that drive down the road! This space is ripe with technical leadership opportunities for advanced technology development, as well as the ability to provide mentorship for new employees. You can flex your teamwork muscles as you will be tasked with working with several other areas of engineering and the business.
“Some openings may be remote positions where the selected candidate can reside and perform the work from anywhere within the United States.”
As a Software Engineer in VMEC, your responsibilities include the implementation of the engine, transmission, chassis, and/or electrification software requirements, software design execution, and unit testing of embedded controller applications for current and new vehicle programs. We particularly focus on implementing Physics and Controls requirements into production software and testing to verify the software is meeting the specified requirements. This includes the following:
- Supply common solutions across all GM In-House controllers
- Document requirements for design solutions and link them to test cases that can demonstrate software functionality
- Utilize automated test tools in build environments, benches, and vehicles to verify functionality at the Function, Controller, and System-level
- Coordinate and collaborate with departments outside engineering, such as Systems & Safety Engineering, Electrical Architecture, Calibration, and Vehicle Performance
Additional Job Description
Minimum Required Skills and Experience:
- BS in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Computer Engineering, or Computer Science
- Minimum 2+ years of experience with proven technical and professional skills in the job-related area required
- Proficient in C, C++ programming
- Outstanding interpersonal and relationship management skills to effectively collaborate with varying levels of the organization as needed
- Emerging partnership and teamwork skills and ability to learn from and share knowledge with co-workers in a fast-paced environment
- High level of integrity, ability to deal with ambiguity, take initiative/self-directed
- Evidence of strong character with integrity, honesty, accountability, and trust
- Consistent demonstration of innovative thinking that is customer-centric
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- MS in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Computer Engineering, or Computer Science
- Experience with Simulink Modeling and Auto Code Generation
- Experience with IBM Rational Team Concert and Scaled Agile Framework
- Experience with bootloader, embedded OS, controller communication, or diagnostics
- Knowledge of AUTOSAR standards and methodology
- Knowledge and experience with CAN, LIN, or Ethernet communications protocol
Compensation: This position may be filled with a mid-career or senior-level professional. The mid-range salary/compensation for both roles are as follows:
Mid-Career Professional – Mid-range salary is $88,667
Senior Career Professional – Mid-range salary is $109,283
Bonus Potential: An incentive pay program offers payouts based on company performance, job level, and individual performance.
Benefits: GM offers a variety of health and wellbeing benefit programs. Benefit options include medical, dental, vision, Health Savings Account, Flexible Spending Accounts, retirement savings plan, sickness and accident benefits, life insurance, paid vacation & holidays, tuition assistance programs, employee assistance program, GM vehicle discounts, and more.
<<< To apply for Software Engineering Vehicle Motion Embedded Controls Job in General Motors >>>
For more Software Engineer Job Description, Find your dream job! Search for jobs, posts your resume, compare salaries and find career advice and research.