Rebuilding Together, Inc. for Senior Accountant in Washington, DC
Senior Accountant Job Summary: Collects and assembles financial information and data necessary to prepare journal entries used in the preparation of financial statements and preparation of payroll. Analyzes financial and statistical data during the development of financial statements and reconciliation of assigned general ledger accounts to ensure the accuracy of information represented in the financial statements. Responsible for the management and oversight of accounts payables, payroll, and other general accounting activities. Also, serves as a back up a liaison with building management and outsourced IT firm for office and equipment management. The Senior Accountant primary duty also includes the exercise of discretion and independent judgment concerning matters of significance.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following.
- Manage all aspects of day to day accounting operations for A/P, payroll processing, payroll taxes, fixed assets, related journal entries, reconciliations and preparation of month end schedules
- Responsible for annual audit coordination for the areas of responsibility and assisting the Director of Finance in the overall coordination of the annual audit.
- Work with all levels of staff and management to analyze, resolve and explain variances related to balance sheet and income statement accounts
- Responsible for check issuance, managing payables and ensuring accuracy of each bill or check request and proper coding classifications
- Process credit card charges and reconcile monthly credit card statements
- Maintain updated vendor files including W9 forms.
- Perform monthly reconciliations for accounts payable, affiliates payables, grants payable, withholding accounts, accounts receivable, prepaid expense, fixed assets/depreciation, and other accounts as required.
- Senior Accountant Verify that transactions comply with financial policies and procedures and provide instruction to other department personnel regarding accounting policies and procedures
- Ensure that accounts payable and closings are performed on time
- Work closely with Director of Finance to manage organizational expenses, budget, and forecast
- Establish and maintain internal controls to ensure the integrity of all financial reporting systems, processes, and data
- Prepare 1099 forms
- Handle all payroll information and management, submit all relevant payroll additions and changes to outsourced payroll vendor by established schedule; reconcile the quarterly 941reports
- Prepare and monitor tax withholdings and sales tax filing.
- Handle workers compensation and unemployment insurance registrations for out of state employees and AmeriCorps members.
- Assist the Director of Finance and VP Finance and Administration with the annual liability insurance renewal; act as primary contact with an insurance broker for unemployment, workers’ compensation, and general liability issues that arise.
- Handle all payroll liabilities to monopolistic states not serviced by an outsourced vendor.
- Act as backup for check deposit data entry into the general ledger.
- Liaise with outside vendors to resolve any accounts due to issues and exercise discretion and judgment in resolving payment disputes, and workers compensation and liability insurance coverage issues. Work directly with other internal departments to resolve issues. Keep Director of Accounting and VP of Finance and Administration appraised of relevant issues.
- Provide back up to office specialist as liaison with building management and IT vendor on office space, office furniture, computer needs/issues, blackberry support, and support for printers/copiers, fax machines, and other office equipment. This includes ensuring that all new employees are properly equipped, and all terminated employees return any equipment and supplies owned by Rebuilding Together.
- Assist in other areas of operations as requested
- Must be able to work additional hours including weekends as necessary.
To perform the Senior Accountant job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies (if applicable) to complete the essential functions of this position.
- College graduate( BA or BS)
- 3-6 years experience in bookkeeping with an academic background in either finance, accounting or business management. Graduate level degree may be considered instead of required experience
- Excellent computer skills, particularly in Excel and databases.
- Good with payroll and financial systems; experience with Paychex and QuickBooks Pro software (current system being used but to be replaced)
- Professional presentation and conduct; good communication skills with outside vendors and other internal departments
- Senior Accountant must be responsible and self-managed
- Must have good follow-up and tracking skills
- Must be detail oriented
- Ability to prioritize and manage numerous projects