MSCI for Software Engineer in Berkeley, CA
We are currently seeking a Software Engineer to join our Applications Development Organization in Berkeley.
Software Engineer Position Overview:
We are looking for an outstanding software engineer to join our Common Platform product development team in our Berkeley office. As a member of our team, this candidate will be responsible for all aspects of software development in our data access layer, our database systems, and our data transformation software module. The candidate will be expected to work in both Windows and Linux environments and have had prior experience with both operating systems. We are looking for someone with strong interpersonal, communications, and analytic skills. The ideal candidate will excel in their ability to work in close collaboration with our global departments in data production, data analysis, and software engineering. Prior knowledge of finance and financial information is essential, but not required, for the position.
The Common Platform is MSCIBarra’s innovative web-based product, allowing users to interactively evaluate portfolios and produce risk reports through an online software vehicle. The product is a multi-tier, distributed, right 24x7x365 website, aimed at providing world-class risk analytics while also streamlining clients’ usage workflows and eliminating consumers’ costs of locally installed software. The product employs many flavors of risk analytics, most notably factor-based risk modeling, historical value-at-risk, Monte Carlo value-at-risk, performance attribution, and stress testing. Major analytical tools include portfolio optimization, personalized portfolio tree and strategy analysis and management, batch collection & user data importing, batch exporting, multiple portfolio comparisons, and trade scenarios. The platform’s functionality is enhanced by a wide range of third-party financial information, aiding investment professionals worldwide accurately evaluate their portfolio risk throughout the history of their collections’ lives.
Software Engineer Desired Experience Aand Qualifications
- Strong programming skills in Java, SQL, Ruby/JRuby, Rails
- Strong knowledge of Windows and Linux/UNIX platforms.
- Strong experience in relational database systems, including data modeling, database development and programming, database configuration and maintenance, and database tuning.
- Strong experience as a software engineer in a product development team environment.
- Strong experience with server-side multithreading programming and object-oriented development.
- Demonstrated experience with a primary database platform (Microsoft SQL Server, Oracle).
- Demonstrated experience with an ORM (Torque or Hibernate preferred)
- Demonstrated experience with data mining through UNIX/Linux text parsing, regular expressions, and scripting (e.g. awk, sed, Perl, Ruby or other interpreted languages).
- Experience with development of single- and multi-threaded Linux processes
- Strong communications skills.
- Demonstrated ability to learn quickly.
- Demonstrated ability to take responsibility for the variety of tasks and roles.
- Demonstrated experience working in a fast-paced, multi-tasking development environment
Software Engineer Optional Experience Aand Qualifications
- Experience with the BerkeleyDB open source database technology.
- Knowledge of networking protocols such as FTP, SSH, RCP and TCP/IP
- Formal training in software engineering and computer technology.
MSCI Inc. is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversifying its workforce. It is the policy of the Firm to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, age, sex, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, citizenship, disability, marital and civil partnership/union status, pregnancy (including unlawful discrimination on the basis of a legally protected pregnancy/maternity leave), veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. MSCI Inc. complies with applicable federal, state and local laws prohibiting discrimination in employment in every jurisdiction in which it maintains facilities. MSCI Inc. agrees to provide reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities in agreement with its obligations under applicable law.