Presbyterian Senior Services: Bookkeeper – New York, NY
As the Bookkeeper for the PSS Finance Department, you will be responsible for completing various administrative, accounting, and payroll functions for the department. The Bookkeeper’s role is vital in ensuring that there is the efficient and timely completion of these duties to maximize the capacity and impact of each program in the community.
Make a difference in the lives of New York City’s older adults, their families and the community. For over 50 years PSS has performed vital and important work – through its six senior centers, two apartment buildings, and affiliated programs, the agency touches the lives of over 1,000 people a day. This is a full-time non-exempt position that reports directly to the Finance Director.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree strongly preferred
- Excellent Interpersonal and Organizational Skills
- Strong computer skills, knowledge of QuickBooks, Excel, Word, Outlook
- Knowledge of maintaining Account Payable records and files
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral)
Responsibilities of Bookkeeper Job:
- Update on a daily basis Purchase Order spreadsheet by distributing PO numbers as requested.
- Keep track of all PO forms submitted by the programs.
- Reconcile PO spreadsheet to General Ledger on a monthly basis.
- Verify invoices for quantity, unit price, extension and discount.
- Route miscellaneous invoices to proper people for approval for payment.
- Verify account numbers to invoices coded on site for proper distribution in financial statements.
- Maintain a log of invoices vouched batch number and dollar amount.
- Maintain file of vouched invoices waiting for payment.
- Issue checks or make online payments as needed and upon special request or in accordance with a schedule based on availability funds.
- Make copies of all received checks from donors and funders.
- Make bank deposits and record them in the accounting system.
- Communicate with programs regarding errors or questions on invoices.
- Coordinate the efforts of additional help required to meet schedules.
- Scan and/or copy paperwork for filing, distribution, etc.
- Collect all time sheets, review them and send to the Finance Director for Payroll processing.
- Update the time grid on the daily basis by recording the time taken by PSS employees.
- Collect the Staff Leave forms for PSS employees and file them.
- Assist Director with special projects, as needed.
- Communicate with supervisor and other staff in a timely fashion and meet all required deadlines.
- Submit required reports in a complete and timely fashion.
- Actively pursue and take full advantage of opportunities for professional growth and development.
- Follow and subscribe to professional development resources (i.e. e-newsletters, professional social media, national aging websites, etc.).
- Comply with PSS Personnel Policy.
- Attend Monthly Supervision and Team Meetings.
- Additional duties as directed by Director.
Professionalism and other Bookkeeper qualities:
- Ability to work well independently and on a team.
- Detailed oriented.
- Maturity and good judgment in relating to peers, partners, and families.
- Ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds.
- Availability, dependability, and willingness to be flexible.
- Demonstrated ability to solve problems and think strategically.
Job Title Bookkeeper
Location New York, NY
Employment type Full time
Salary range (annual, U.S. $) 30,000 – 35,000
Benefits Competitive Benefits Package
Job function Accounting and finance