Park Hill School District: Teacher Assistant – Kansas City, MO – Tiffany Ridge
Teacher assistants serve to enhance the instructional program available in the schools. They are employed to provide better learning opportunities for students in situations where large class sizes or a particular need exists. The assistant aids the teacher in providing instruction and also performs duties which free the teacher to work with those students needing more help. Many of the functions carried out by the assistant are similar to those presented by the teacher. However, the assistant works under the direction of the teacher, and only the teacher may diagnose and prescribe for the learning needs of the students. All plans for a lesson originate through the classroom teacher.
- A minimum of 60 college hours. Bachelor’s degree with Missouri teacher certification preferred.
- Positive interpersonal skills.
- Effective communication skills.
- Ability to lift 50 lbs repeatedly.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Tutor individuals or small groups.
- Escort class to other instructional areas.
- Operate instructional equipment for the classroom.
- Assist students with mobility needs. (May involve lifting, toileting, etc.)
- Gather and produce instructional material for use in the classroom.
- Assist with appropriate behavioral intervention techniques as directed by the supervising teacher.
- Maintain a high level of confidentiality regarding students and family’s academic and social needs.
We watch school age kids before and after school normally 6:30 am to 8:30 am and 3 pm to 6 pm. We come up with daily lesson plans and other fun activities for them to do which include but are not limited to arts/crafts, cooking projects, outside/gym, math/science, etc. Personally, as a mother, I learn new ways of handling different situations every day as well as applying what I already know. The best part of the job is getting to know and spend time with all the kids. The hardest part of the job would be the fact that they don’t require any management skills other than 60 college credit hrs in any subject, not even a degree. That makes it hard to work under someone who doesn’t know how to manage others, but you have to start somewhere. Year to year we never know who our co-workers are going to be because they move us at will to different schools every year but we have a good time.
- Primary Location Tiffany Ridge Elementary
- Salary Range $15.57 / Per Hour
- Shift Type Full-Time