University of North Carolina: Accountant – Chapel Hill, NC
Accounting Services’ mission is to provide significant support to University financial operations by maintaining central administrative systems, performing investment accounting functions, maintaining capital construction records, providing cash management services, and performing other accounting and related duties. The units within the Accounting Services department are Cash Management including Merchant Card Services, Construction and General Accounting, Financial Accounting, and Investment Accounting.
This Accountant position is responsible for establishing PeopleSoft Chartfields, reviewing journal imports (Data Collect Batches – DCB) and reviewing and posting journal entries. This Account will assist in month end and year end closing activities, review trust budgets and budget journals, and reconciliation.
Principal functions include:
- 25% Establishing PeopleSoft Chartfield related to expendable gift funds, non-OSR Contracts, University endowments, sales of goods and services, conferences, Foundation allocations and remaining and miscellaneous fund types. This includes reviewing the request for establishing Chatfield and supporting documentation, ensure the requests are in compliance with University policies, follow-up with the requestor for clarification, creating the Chatfield in the general ledger and preparing fund authority for review and sign off by the University Controller.
- 25% considering over 75 journal imports and data collect batches submitted by various units in the University and affiliated organizations during the month, address budget and chart field combination edits, and approved for posting promptly.
- 25% Assist the Supervisor and the Director in month-end and year- end activities including the review and reconciliation of subsystems, clearing pending items in the UNC Journal Entry module, approve and post journal entries in the appropriate period and running relevant PeopleSoft queries.
- 10% Reviewing and posting non-cash gifts received by UNC-CH Foundation, and university trust budget adjustments and journals submitted by the campus departments.
- 15% provide excellent customer services by responding to departmental inquiries related to, but not limited to, established Chatfield, journals, reconciling monthly activities and trust budgets.
- Preferred Accountant candidates will have excellent customer service and interpersonal skills, with experience dealing with both internal customers across various organizational levels and with external customers such as the University affiliated Foundation and auditors.
- The preferred candidate will have accounting work experience in higher education, high-level computer skills, intermediate to advanced level in Microsoft Excel and Word, and knowledge of interrelationships among University financial systems.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree with 12 credit hours of accounting coursework; or Associate’s degree in accounting; or Associate’s degree in business or related discipline with 12 credit hours of accounting coursework; or equivalent combination of training and experience.
- All degrees must be received from appropriately accredited institutions.
<<< To Apply >>>
To more Accountant Jobs, please CLICK HIRE to Find your dream job! Search for jobs, posts your resume, compare salaries and find career advice and research.