Envision Education: Teacher 2015-2016 – Oakland, CA
We are looking for passionate teachers who are committed to working with urban students in small, academically rigorous high schools that use project-based learning, workshop models, art and technology, and performance assessments to engage students in learning.
Envision Education has an opening for a credentialed English Teacher – Leave coverage at our Oakland school, Envision Academy. This position will start immediately and have potential option for renewal for the 2015-16 school year. Come join an organization dedicated to transforming the lives of urban students! An Envision teacher:
- Has a strong classroom stance and embodies a “warm demander” approach to classroom management
- Understands and applies effective strategies and best practices to ensure student success
- Implements project, problem and/or inquiry-based instruction aligned with standards
- Maintains high expectations for all students and believes all students can be successful in college
- Plans for various student needs (including use of developmentally appropriate materials)
- Uses data to inform instruction
- Acts as an Advisor to a group of students and acts as an advocate for students’ needs with family members and within the school community.
- Experience in, and commitment to, urban education and working with youth of color.
All Envision teachers can expect the following:
- Small school environment
- Classrooms equipped with an LCD projector, available computers for students, and a laptop computer for professional use
- Membership in a professional learning community that fosters respect, trust, risk-taking, an openness to learning and the sharing of ideas, and continuously improving practice
- To know their students well, develop a strong sense of community in the classroom and personalize each student’s learning experience
- To meet cooperatively with parents on a scheduled basis to share information about their students and the school
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Valid California Single Subject Teaching Credential in English or out of state equivalent
Compensation and Benefits:
- Teacher salary competitive based on credential, education, and experience
At Envision Education, we believe the current achievement gap reflects a systemic failure to understand how kids learn, what motivates them to learn, and what they need in order to learn well. Our approach is specifically designed to increase student engagement, deepen integration and understanding, promote active learning, and ensure college success. Envision further distinguishes its campuses with:
- Economic, ethnic, and racial diversity,
- Rigorous academic discipline, and
- Excellence at every level.
Our educators create project-based assignments that challenge students to use the 21st Century skills of thinking critically, solving problems resourcefully, and collaborating productively that are needed to thrive in college, in future careers, and in life. Students have an opportunity to use these skills and show what they know through portfolio presentation and defenses. Similar to a dissertation, these presentations are required to graduate and are invaluable in preparing for life after high school.