Sr Software Engineer job at H&R Block in Kansas City, MO
Software Engineer Job Description:
Looking for a place where your hard work can be FUN and APPRECIATED? Join H&R Block! This is your chance to join our organization and become part of a known and respected brand. H&R Block is America’s 6th largest retail organization. Due to our exciting plans for the future, we have several career opportunities available.
Software Engineer JOB SUMMARY
Provides technical expertise to design and develop software components and products that support H&R Block business applications. Uses tools, languages, coding standards and best practices to develop new product features and maintain year-over-year product functionality and enhancements. Creates and executes unit tests and addresses defects. Works closely with the QA, UX and other related teams to ensure consistent understanding of requirements and approach.
Also, assists in planning and implementation of a strategic direction for the product.
Software Engineer JOB DUTIES
- Designs develops and maintains complex software components
- Creates and maintains documentation of design approaches
- Creates and maintains documentation on the internal architecture of the system. Provides direction in architectural changes in the system.
- Proposes product design features to support scalability, usability and better performance.
- Leads technical design and code reviews for all new enhancements and maintenance work delivered by the development team.
- Understands complex business and functional requirements and provides direction in technical specifications and product requirements.
- Establishes best practices in coding and development within the team. Ensures consistency of the use of best practices within the team. Designs and develops reusable code components.
- Creates maintains and executes complex unit test and alpha test plans
- Maintains and improves current knowledge on the latest technologies relevant to the role regarding algorithms, language, design methodology, third party development tools, application platforms, hardware compatibility and operating systems.
- Mentors and coaches other team members on the latest technological advances in the current technology used.
Software Engineer JOB REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelor’s degree with an emphasis in systems development or related area or the equivalent through a combination of education and work experience.
- Five to six years IT experience to include short-term and long-range planning, budgeting, systems analysis and design
- Experience in data and process modeling of business requirements.
- Knowledge and experience of relational database technology.
- Knowledge of all phases of the systems development life cycle.
- Exposure to client/server and/or web development.
- ETL experience
- In depth SQL knowledge
- MDM experience
- UNIX scripting
- Data Analysis experience
- Demonstrated decision-making, analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated effective time management, planning and organization skills with the ability to successfully handle multiple tasks, projects and priorities in a fast-paced matrix-managed environment.
- Experience using software applications such as Visio, Microsoft Project, PowerPoint, Word, and Excel.
- Effective oral, written and interpersonal communication skills. Strong presentation and facilitation skills are necessary to communicate and persuade a broad range of audiences.
WHY SHOULD YOU WORK FOR H&R BLOCK?
Your outstanding compensation and benefits package would include:
- Competitive Software-Engineer-salary and incentive compensation package
- Paid Time Off including
- Vacation (accrues on your first day; 2-4 weeks depending on position)
- Paid holidays
- Sick time
- Short-term and long-term disability
- Support for you and your dependants
- Medical, dental, vision, life, AD&D and travel insurance plans
- Adoption Assistance program (up to $3,000)
- Financial Support
- 401(k) plan – $1 for $1 match up to 5% of salary with immediate vesting after 90 days
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan (10% discount on Block stock)
- Tuition Reimbursement up to $5,250 per year
- Tax services (little or no cost)
- Progressive and innovative
- Open exchange of ideas
- Business casual attire with casual Fridays
- Flexible work schedule possible for many positions
<<< To Apply >>>
To more Software Engineer Jobs, please CLICK HIRE to Find your dream job! Search for jobs, posts your resume, compare salaries and find career advice and research.