Related adsJOB SUMMARY:
Join the Department of Housing & Urban Development (HUD) team if you are looking for a challenging career and want to help individuals achieve the American Dream! HUD is an integral partner in revitalizing and improving communities across America. Our mission focuses on expanding homeownership, increasing access to affordable housing, strengthening communities, fighting housing discrimination, and tackling homelessness issues.
Great Benefits Package including paid vacation, sick days, holidays, health and life insurance and an excellent retirement package!
HUD Headquarters offices are conveniently located at the L’Enfant Plaza Metro stop, and within walking distance to great restaurants, museums, and the National Mall. We also have a fitness center, childcare center, credit union, eateries, and other work-life conveniences.
- United States Citizen
- This announcement may be used to fill more than one vacancy.
- A background investigation is required for all Federal employees.
- Must meet specialized experience requirements (See Qualifications)
Additional Duty Location Info: 1 vacancy – Washington DC Metro Area, DC
This position is located in the Office of the Chief Financial Officer (OCFO), Assistant CFO for Accounting, Financial Reporting Division. The Financial Reporting Division, in conjunction with the Office of Budget and the program Assistant Secretaries, plans, directs, conducts and coordinates the preparation of reports, financial statements and financial analyses; prepares and submits accounting and financial reports to HUD management, Treasury, the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), the Government Accountability Office (GAO), and other governmental organizations.
The incumbent performs a variety of accounting duties in support of the functions of the Division, utilizing a professional knowledge of accounting principles and procedures in carrying out assignments such as:
- Reconciling agency accounts with internal records;
- Correcting differences between ledger balances and control account balances;
- Developing procedures for implementation of automated accounting systems;
- Formulating a variety of financial management reports;
- Assisting management in applying financial data and recommending solutions to problems; and
- Providing accounting guidance and advice to program officials.
To meet the basic qualification requirements for this position, you must have:
- A. Degree – A degree from an accredited college or university in accounting; or a degree in a related field such as business administration, finance, or public administration that included or was supplemented by 24 semester hours in accounting. The 24 hours may include up to 6 hours of credit in business law.
- B. Combination of Experience and Education – At least 4 years of experience in accounting, or an equivalent combination of accounting experience, college-level education, and training that provided professional accounting knowledge. Your background must also include at least one of the following:
- Twenty-four semester hours in accounting or auditing courses of appropriate type and quality. This can include up to 6 hours of business law;
- A certificate as a Certified Public AccountantSocial Security Administration for Accountant at Woodlawn, MD. Read more ... » or a Certified Internal AuditorUniversity of Texas at Austin: Internal Auditor I - Austin, TX. Read more ... », obtained through written examination; or
- Completion of the requirements for a degree that included substantial course work in accounting or auditing, e.g., 15 semester hours, but that does not fully satisfy the 24 semester hour requirement of paragraph A, provided that (a) you successfully worked at the full performance level in accounting, auditing or a related field, e.g., valuation engineering or financial institution examining; (b) a panel of at least two higher level professional accountants or auditors has determined that you demonstrated a good knowledge of accounting and of related and underlying fields that equals in breadth, depth, currency, and level of advancement that which is normally associated with successful completion of the 4-year course of study described in paragraph A; and (c) except for literal nonconformance to the requirement of 24 semester hours in accounting, your education, training, and experience fully meet the specified requirements.