Flipboard: Software Engineer – Palo Alto, CA
Software Engineer at Flipboard, a social magazine service, has millions of daily readers who read tens of millions of articles per day. Every single one of our user’s documents and events generates data that we use to monitor, report, and build products.
Minimum Software Engineer Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or a related discipline, or foreign equivalent.
- 2 years of experience in the job offered or in a closely related software engineering position
- Special Requirements: Must have demonstrated experience in the following:
- Hadoop MapReduce
- Hive Data Warehousing
- Elastic search distributed search and analytics
- Java software development for massive, distributed computation and databases
- TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS: None
The Responsibilities of Software Engineer
- Develop software infrastructure for distributed computing environment and databases handling massive quantities of data, focusing on data architecture, data mining and search indexing using Java, Scala, and related platforms.
- Process, organize, and store extremely high-volume data streams using MapReduce parallel distributed algorithms and software frameworks, including Hadoop MapReduce, HBase (Hadoop database), and Hive data warehousing tools.
- Build up the content feed data stream for the Flipboard application using the above MapReduce tools, as well as Elastic search distributed search and analytics, Storm distributed computing for processing unbounded data streams, and Kafka distributed publish-subscribe messaging.
- Build and customize user search functionality for push notifications and e-mail notifications to improve user engagement.
- Process user usage log, aggregating and loading data for analytic use. Participate in backend operation and infrastructure maintenance.
Software Engineer Salary, Benefits & Perks:
- 401(k) with company contribution
- Vision, dental, life, and health insurance
- Unlimited “out of office time” for holidays, vacation, sick leave, and personal or family needs
- Flexible hours
- Subsidized computer programs
- Beer Fridays: casual team & friend meet-ups at Flipboard HQ
- Team celebrations: company anniversaries, birthdays, Thanksgiving, weddings/babies- you name it, we celebrate it.
- Flipboard Sports- Basketball team, certified rock climbers, biking, or anything you’d like to organize.
- Lots of snacks- healthy and otherwise.
To apply >>> http://www.indeed.com/rc/clk?jk=7230a73ff2d58494